[StBernard] St. Bernard: District Judge - 34th Judicial District Court, Division C: Meet the candidates

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 4 15:32:43 EDT 2014

St. Bernard: District Judge - 34th Judicial District Court, Division C: Meet
the candidates
Print NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Follow on Twitter
on October 01, 2014 at 4:45 PM, updated October 01, 2014 at 4:53 PM

KIM COOPER JONES

Personal

45. Born in New Orleans.
Married, 2 children.
Attorney - Partner at Law Firm of Ginart & Jones.
Andrew Jackson High School.
University of New Orleans, 1990, major in Political Science and minor in
Sociology.
Loyola School of Law, 1993, Juris Doctorate.
Political

Republican since 1987.
Philosophy

Plan to organize a coordination of the drug programs in St. Bernard through
Juvenile Probation and the court to educate and prevent drug use in our
young people.
To educate our young people on the dangers of drug use and to help educate,
rehabilitate and treat non-violent, first offenders.
To incarcerate those who commit violent crimes and drug dealers as provided
by law.
To protect families and property within St. Bernard Parish.
Harsher penalties as provided by law for repeat offenders.

GREGORY NOTO

Personal

61. Born in Lake Charles.
Married, 4 children.
Assistant District Attorney in St. Bernard Parish and Noto Law Firm.
Redemptorist High School, New Orleans.
Loyola University, Bachelor of Criminal Justice, 1979.
Loyola University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1984.
Political

Republican since 1983.
Philosophy

Experience - I offer my 30 years as an attorney handling thousands of civil
matters, jury and non-jury, successions and domestic laws. Also, as an
assistant district attorney, I have years of experience handling thousands
of felony matters, jury, non-jury matters. I also offer my experience
handling grand jury matters in the district attorney's office.
Consistency and courtesy - I will treat everyone, victim's, defendant's,
attorney's, law enforcement officers, court personnel, with all due respect
and courtesy.
Compassion for addiction problems yet tenacity to certain offenders within
the confines of the law - I will foster help through various means, such as
substance abuse and addiction recovery centers, faith based organizations,
to help those who want help from addictive disorders. Not everyone may be a
candidate for our Drug Court program here in St. Bernard so we need to come
up with alternative ideas and methods to help those afflicted individuals.
At the same time I will treat repeat offenders, violent criminals, drug
dealers with the tenacity appropriate under the law keeping in mind the
protection of society.
Docket management - I intend to move my docket expeditiously, considering
the needs of victims, parties to litigation, defendant's in criminal
matters, law enforcement officers and attorneys. No need for people to be
sitting idly by waiting on a judge. I will start on time and work until the
docket is completed, recognizing the needs of all parties.
Education, GED - A large number of defendants I have interacted with seem to
lack basic reading and writing skills which may impair their ability to
reform. I will push thru probation or other available means that they at
least achieve their GED which may help reenter those individuals and
function in society.

DARREN ROY

Personal

47. Born in New Orleans.
Divorced, 1 child.
Assistant District Attorney at St. Bernard Parish District Attorney's
Office.
Holy Cross High School, New Orleans.
Bachelor of Science Degree, in Business, from LSU, 1989.
Juris Doctor, from Loyola University of New Orleans, 1993.
Political

Democrat since 1985.
Philosophy

As the most experienced prosecutor in my race, with 20 years of service in
the courtrooms of St. Bernard, I will use my unmatched experience to help
keep the people of St. Bernard safe.
I will protect the people of St. Bernard from violent and habitual
offenders.
I will be a tough but fair judge.
I will treat everyone in my courtroom with justice, dignity, and respect.
I will continue my work helping those who have been convicted of offenses,
but who desire assistance in overcoming their addiction to drugs. In this
way, we can reduce the likelihood of future offenses.