[StBernard] St. Bernard: District Attorney - 34th Judicial District Court: Meet the candidates

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 4 15:38:36 EDT 2014

St. Bernard: District Attorney - 34th Judicial District Court: Meet the
candidates
Print NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Follow on Twitter
on October 03, 2014 at 11:31 AM, updated October 03, 2014 at 11:35 AM

GLENN DIAZ

Personal

63. Born in New Orleans.
Divorced, 3 children.
Assistant district attorney at St Bernard District Attorney's Office.
Chalmette High and FT Nichollos High.
UNO, studied political science and geology.
Loyola Law School Juris Doctor, 1975.
Political

Democrat since 1970.
Philosophy

I will make all of my assistant district attorneys able and capable to try a
criminal jury trial on their own.
I will seek out investigate and prosecute drug dealers.
I will have a visible presence in all boards and council meetings that the
district attorney has influence over letting them know that I expect no
corruption or political favors at the public expense.
I will have a zero tolerance policy for possession or distribution of drugs
in quantities over certain amounts: marijuana one pound, cocaine, heroine,
one ounce.
I will change the court rules in St Bernard court system to allow for more
felony trials and days to help reduce crowded dockets and crime.

MICHAEL GORBATY

Personal

60. Born in New Orleans.
Separated, two children.
Assistant District Attorney at St. Bernard Parish District Attorney's
Office.
Chalmette High.
BS, Business Administration, LSU, 1976.
MBA, Oklahoma City University, 1980 Juris Doctorate, University of Denver,
1998.
United States Air Force 1977-1998 Retired Lieutenant Colonel.
Political

Republican since 2012, previously Democrat.
Philosophy

Aggressive prosecution of violent crime offenders and drug dealers to the
fullest extent of the law.
Sexual misconduct and abuse of women and children shall not be tolerated or
trivialized.
Establishment of a rigorous diversion program for first time, non-violent
offenders.
Establishment of a Victims Assistance Program to assist victims of crime
throughout the judicial process.
Reorganize the District Attorney's Office to take advantage of new
technology.

PERRY NICOSIA

Personal

47. Born in New Orleans.
Married, 3 children.
Resigned as judge to run for district attorney.
Promised Land Academy, Braithwaite.
B.S. Degree in Business Management from University of New Orleans in 1989.
Juris Doctorate degree from Loyola Law School in New Orleans in 1992.
Political

Democrat since In 1985.
Philosophy

I will implement V.O.I., Violent Offender Initiative, not casting a ballot,
but a net. In this area I will have seasoned prosecutors whose time would
not include supervisory functions of other prosecutors, but would be
dedicated to targeting and swiftly prosecuting violent offenses.
I will proactively guide the district attorney's office to prosecute
criminals quickly and effectively. Success in this criminal justice system
requires a unified plan of attack that includes law enforcement agencies,
the district attorney's office, community groups and our school district.
Make sure the office begins using the victim rights statute which will
safeguard the rights of victims who have been harmed by criminals.
I will support, endorse and create programs such as "Don't Let This Be You",
an effective program implemented and presented to our youth and community
groups by judges and prosecutors. As the District Attorney, I would not only
work to see that criminals are punished - but also work to prevent crime
before our citizens are victimized.
I implement and create a Pretrial Diversion Program. Where possible, a
partnership with the Council On Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, Job Corps, the
St. Bernard Parish School Board or the Nunez Community College will be
implemented. Doing so will give a meaningful incentive for persons to
receive education, substance abuse counseling and job training.