[StBernard] Chalmette High freshman will compete in karate championship in Japan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Oct 11 12:24:10 EDT 2014

Chalmette High freshman will compete in karate championship in Japan
Earl Hodges By Earl Hodges
on October 08, 2014 at 7:52 AM, updated October 08, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Tiffany Tobin, a freshman at Chalmette High School, will compete Oct. 17-19
in the Funakoshi Gichin World Cup Karate Championships in Tokyo, Japan.
Tiffany, the 14-year-old daughter of Cathy and Tim Tobin of Arabi, will
represent the United States as a member of the 22 member U.S. team.

"For me it's a great honor to go to Japan and represent my country," Tiffany
said.  "I'm looking forward to the experience of competing and visiting
Japan.  I also hope I can bring a medal home."

"Tiffany is very competitive," said John Caluda, a coach for the U.S. team.
"She is very tough and doesn't give up."

Caluda said, "Going to Japan and competing in the Funakoshi Gichin World Cup
Karate Championships is a once in a lifetime experience for a young person
like Tiffany.  I wish could have had that experience when I was younger."

While in Japan, Tiffany and the other members of the United States team will
also visit the tomb of Gichin Funakoshi, the  founder of Shotokan karate and
the father of modern karate.

Tiffany is a student at the Louisiana Karate Association in Metairie where
she holds a black belt in Shotokan karate.

In 2013, Tiffany competed in the Amateur Athletic Union World Karate
Championships in Melbourne, Australia.  Tiffany qualified for the  Funakoshi
Gichin World Cup Karate Championships by winning a national championship in
her  age group at the Japanese Karate Association's  U.S. team trials.

Tiffany will compete in both sparring and kata in Japan.

"We are so proud of Tiffany," said her mother Cathy Tobin.    "The trip to
Japan will also be a great educational experience for Tiffany.  It should
also help  her learn more about the history and traditions of Shotokan
karate."

Tiffany began training in Shotokan karate when she was seven years old, and
she said each year she has developed more passion for training and
competing.

"I try to train seven days a week," Tiffany said.  "I love training and
building my endurance.  And I also look forward to competing in tournaments
so I can see how much I've learned and improved.  And the trip to Japan will
be  a great test for me.  And it's a test that I'm looking forward to."

Earl Hodges writes about recreation sports in St. Bernard Parish.  He can be
contacted at earlhodges at msn.com.