[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish Bird Festival April 24 and 25, 2015

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 5 09:21:17 EST 2015

ST. BERNARD BIRD FESTIVAL TO BE HELD AT THE ISLENOS MUSEUM COMPLEX

           The St. Bernard Bird Festival will be held on Friday, April 24
and Saturday, April 25, 2015 at the Islenos Museum Complex.  Audubon
Louisiana, through Dr. Erik Johnson, will provide the banding and catching
of birds for a two day outdoor exhibition.  The individuals handling this
exhibit are trained, educated, and licensed for this activity.  This is an
important educational and entertainment activity.  Audubon Louisiana will
also provide an educational program regarding birding.  This program will be
presented both Friday and Saturday.

Glenn Ousset is putting together a group of experienced birders who will
take groups birding on the Islenos Complex grounds and also at the State
Park and Casa Fernandez Bird Trail.  This activity will be almost continuous
from Friday afternoon through all the day Saturday.  All groups will meet
and leave from the Islenos Complex.

Common Ground Relief, Inc., a non-profit organization focusing on the
re-forestation and re-development of coastal land, will provide a program on
Friday and two on Saturday, which will include discussion of the "tree of
the year", which is the water tupelo.  The water tupelo had existed in vast
numbers in the swamps of St. Bernard, Plaquemines, and Orleans, but can no
longer be found in much of the area.  Discussion of this and other species
for re-forestation will be given as well as a demonstration on planting
trees and a gift of a water tupelo sapling for all participants.  Wood
carvers are being gathered and we hope to have a virtual continuous exhibit
of bird and duck wook carvings.  These craftsmen will also exhibit their
works.

Additional programs and exhibits, not completed at the time of this press
release, I hope to include a program on photography, especially of wildlife
and waterfowl by a noted photographer who will also have his work on
display.  I anticipate that we will have a significant exhibit and programs
from the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the content of which remains
to be settled.  Additional groups, including the Art Guild, may want to
participate and exhibit their art, especially of birds and wildlife
subjects.

Please contact the St. Bernard Parish Office of Tourism for more information
at 504-278-4242.