[StBernard] WDSU Investigates: Local hospital owes about $1 million in delinquent utility bills

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 23 18:51:57 EDT 2016

WDSU Investigates: Local hospital owes about $1 million in delinquent
utility bills

Or "Why you should never trust Wayne Landry"

Updated: 5:20 PM CDT Sep 23, 2016

Travers Mackel
Investigative Reporter

ARABI, La. — A local hospital isn't paying it's utility bills and the total
amount owed, is staggering.

Inside his Old Metairie office building, Louisiana Public Service
Commissioner Eric Skrmetta got a call a few months ago, that caught the
seasoned politician -- who regulates public utilities -- off guard.

"I was actually taken aback by it," said Skrmetta.

The Republican was made aware that the St. Bernard Parish Hospital, which
opened in 2012, was late -- very late on paying it's utility bills.

"It was several utilities, none of the utilities had effectively been paid,"
Skrmetta said.

Meaning legally, the power could have been shut off at the parish's only
major medical facility.

"Between all utility combined it's approaching -- if not over -- $1 million
right now," Skrmetta said.

The hospital is run by an independent board, outside of parish government.

It's not under the control of the council or parish president.

But weeks ago, Skrmetta made Parish President Guy McInnis aware of the
problem.

"It was very shocking and very disappointing, all businesses go through ups
and downs in finances and paying bills, but we didn't know that
this taxpayer-funded hospital was in such bad shape -- at least with its
electric bills," said McInnis.

So the two say they worked with several utility companies to make sure the
power stayed on.

That's where things stand, for now.

Meanwhile, the hospital board recently made changes within its leadership.

"We have a new board and a direction and we're just worried about the
quality of healthcare in St. Bernard Parish," said McInnis.

But the problems with the old hospital board and how it managed money are
far from over.

WDSU Investigates first reported in February that the district attorney has
an active criminal grand jury investigation open and sources say indictments
could be imminent.

Skrmetta says from the opening of the hospital -- there were problems.

"It was poor planning, poor direction, poor creation, and literally taking a
very expensive automobile and running it on fumes," said Skrmetta.
No one from the board or the hospital returned our call seeking a comment.