[StBernard] Arabi native Dan Johnson gets named North Shore Kiwanis leader

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 19 08:20:53 EDT 2016

Arabi native Dan Johnson gets named North Shore Kiwanis leader

St. Bernard native and Covington resident Dan Johnson was recently named as
Kiwanis Lt. Governor for Division 13 for the 2016-17 year. (Submitted by
Barry Lemoine)
By Barry Lemoine  on October 18, 2016 at 5:15 PM, updated October 18, 2016
at 5:41 PM

Dan Johnson's life is centered on faith, family, friends, and fellowship.
The Covington resident who has deep, current ties to St. Bernard Parish, was
recently named as Kiwanis Lt Governor for Division 13 for 2016-17.

Johnson said the goal is to reach the children in the community by building
self-esteem, character development and leadership.

Johnson's affiliation with Kiwanis goes back 20 years, having been a member
of the St. Bernard Kiwanis Club, the Northshore Mandeville Club and now the
Kiwanis Club of Greater Covington. Each is a part of LaMissTenn District
which covers all of Louisiana, all of Mississippi and the Western part of
Tennessee.

As Lt. Governor of District 13, Johnson represents Kiwanis Clubs in Amite,
Franklinton, Hammond, Ponchatoula, Covington, Mandeville and Slidell.
Johnson said his specific role is to cheerlead and encourage Presidents of
the other Kiwanis Clubs.

"The vision, as Lt. Governor, is to make sure all clubs have more hands on
service in the community to affect children," Johnson said.
He referred to his new position as "amazing and rewarding."

"I love the order and structure that is in place to reach every community in
the world," he said. "To think that I am one of one million beating hearts
in the world with the same mission and mindset to build children in the
areas of self-esteem, character development and leadership -it's
mind-blowing."
Johnson said the latest Kiwanis initiative is to develop a strategic growth
action plan called the IPLAN.

"The four I's of the plan are Inspire, Impact, Image and Investment," he
said. "By September of 2017 I would like to see every Kiwanis Club in my
Division 13 to have their IPLAN develop for one year, three year and
five-year goals involving the four I's of the plan. How they are going to
inspire their current and future members to keep the passion of Kiwanis
alive to live the Kiwanis mission."

Johnson recently turned 64 and said he is grateful for the life he has
shared with his wife Gloria, and their three daughters and six
grandchildren. He has an especially close bond with his daughter Ashley.

"I was told in late 2000 that I had kidney failure and that by 2010 my
kidney function was reduced down to 20 percent which made me eligible for a
kidney transplant," he said.

After being on a waiting list for a while, Johnson reluctantly allowed his
daughter, Ashley to be tested.

"Miraculously, Ashley was a perfect match" he said.

On Jan. 17, 2011 Ashley and her dad were admitted to the hospital for the
successful transplant. Johnson said he and Ashley have had an annual
birthday celebration for the kidney on Jan. 17 ever since.

"This was a special moment orchestrated by God from the very beginning," he
said. "Ashley and I have a special bond now that rises above most father and
daughter relationships because of this experience. We knew God had His hand
in it all along and because of that our faith has grown even stronger
because of it."

Johnson has always been a man of faith. In fact, this Covington-based CPA
holds a weekly Bible study in his satellite office in Chalmette. An Arabi
resident for over 50 years, Johnson said moving after Katrina was a sort of
spiritual catalyst.

"When we moved to the North Shore after Katrina, I discovered an opportunity
to learn more about my faith by deeply delving into the Bible through
independent study to small groups with other men or couple groups with my
wife, Gloria," he said.

He said a year ago, he considered starting a Bible Study group with some of
his friends in St. Bernard Parish.

"Next thing I know many of the men and others in the parish who had heard
about the conversation approached me as to when I was going to start the
group," he said.

"That's when I knew it was a God moment - when men's hearts were being set
aflame to get to know more about their faith."

Johnson said those Thursday mornings are his favorite day of the week.

"These men are more than relationships. It is indeed a fellowship that runs
much deeper," he said.

"We give God credit every week for providing time on our busy schedules to
meet and discuss what His plans and direction are for our lives.  We always
say that God has us in a crock pot on low.  It's a process that will take us
the rest of our lives and we are very excited about this."

Johnson said he loves being in "the parish" each week, and reconnecting with
old friends, but he said he also feels at home in Covington too.
"I am very grateful that everyone that I met embraced me, wholeheartedly,"
he said.

Johnson said whether he is teaching scripture or preparing financial
statements, he is sees himself as a sort of coach, helping others to grow.

He said witnessing personal growth in others truly makes him proud.

"I am most proud to see people run the race of life with a positive attitude
and with a purpose to make a difference in the lives of others," Johnson
said.

He said seeing others lead and inspire, in a humble, caring and kind way
really touches him.

"When I see people exercise these traits in their circumstances or in the
circumstances of others they touch, it can move me to tears. Yeah, it's an
emotional moment for me and makes me proud," Johnson said.