Talbert Pipes- Somewhat delayed news

Trever Talbert trever at talbertpipes.com
Wed Oct 13 10:56:44 EDT 2004

Hello to everyone on our mailing list!  I'm writing with a somewhat delayed
update notice, delayed because I have been working round-the-clock for the
past two days on website updates and I was waiting until I'd finished before
sending an email.  Unfortunately, during the time it took me to finish, half
the new pipes had already sold!  But, there is still one new morta (a bent
poker blast) available, plus some new LBs.  The big news, however, is that
the Halloween Pipes pages are now open and the first of this year's
Halloween pipes is posted.  Sales will be by auction, the same as last year,
with a full description in the FAQ in the Halloween section.  In other news,
there is a small update - I have changed the type of chamber pre-carbonizing
that I use on all my pipes.  I used the old mixture for many years without
problems, but we've had a great deal of annoying trouble with the mix since
we moved to Brittany, and I'm still not sure why - the ingredients are the
same, unless there is some minor difference between the ingredients bought
in France and those in the US.  My greater suspicion is that our troubles
have been a factor of climate, with the humidity here making it harder to
get the mix to adhere properly to the wood.  In any event, over the past two
years I have had to recoat a fair number of bowls here in the shop because
of problems with the coating chipping away from the wood - typically the
next morning after application it would be peeling away on about every fifth
bowl, whereas the majority worked perfectly fine.  So, the cause of the
problem is still a bit of a mystery.  I've been working on a better fix for
this for some time, and I finally think I have a superior carbonizing
mixture.  It combines superior "stick" with superiority over the old mixture
in another way - it does not fade and turn grey with time.  This will be
very good news indeed for all those collectors who do not smoke their pipes,
but buy them for display!  I hope that this mixture will retain its satin
black finish for years to come, even if unsmoked.  I've been working on the
problem consistently since early this year, and sent out some tester pipes
with various combinations of the current ingredients to friends here in
Europe and abroad, and the reports resoundingly came back in favor of the
new mix, so that's going to be the standard for my pipes from now onward.
All of these just-posted pipes use the new mixture.
Thanks for your time!
Happy smoking,
Trever Talbert
http://www.talbertpipes.com