[WASTE-list] WASTE 3.0.1 now available

Marco Piovanelli marco.piovanelli at pobox.com
Fri Dec 1 06:24:27 EST 2006

WASTE 3.0.1 is now available for download at:

<http://www.ovolab.com/technologies/waste/WASTE-sdk-301.dmg>

This release addresses several issues that have come up in the
last few months. Here's a detailed list:

1. Having WEStreamRange() with the kTypeUnicodeText selector
always return UTF-16 text in big-endian order was an
unfortunate design choice which we want to revert.
WEStreamRange() will now return UTF-16 text in native byte
order. This is consistent with the way the Carbon Scrap Manager
and Drag Manager interpret the 'utxt' flavor type. However,
it is inconsistent with the wording of the weGetLittleEndian
flag. The meaning of weGetLittleEndian is now really "return
my UTF-16 text in swapped byte order, i.e., little-endian on
PowerPC machines, big-endian on Intel machines".
weGetLittleEndian is now effectively a misnomer, so we're
deprecating it in favor of a new constant with a more suitable
name: weStreamEndianSwap.

2. On Intel machines, WASTE was putting endian-swapped plain text
on the pasteboard. This is now fixed. Thanks to Jérôme Seydoux
for first catching this.

3. Since WEGetTextRangeAsUnicode() is only partially supported
in WASTE 3.0, we're deprecating it. For most purposes, you
can use WEStreamRange() with the kTypeUnicodeText or
kTypeUTF8Text selectors instead.

4. Added back support for parsing and generating 'SOUP' scraps,
which was missing in the previous release.

5. Click and stream handlers of embedded objects are now called.

6. The built-in object handlers for 'PICT' and 'snd' objects
are again functional, as well as WEInstallStandardObjectHandlers()
and WERemoveStandardObjectHandlers().

7. A gray dotted box is now drawn in place of embedded objects
that don't have an associated draw handler.

8. WEDisposeView() was raising a mostly harmless, but annoying,
assertion failed exception.

9. Some long deprecated, but still widely used APIs were added
back to WASTE.h.

10. Fixed crasher triggered by using WEUpdate() to draw into
a Quickdraw port where a picture is being recorded.

11. Refined the algorithm for extending style runs when text
is inserted at a style run boundary.

12. View preparation hooks, an undocumented feature of WASTE 2.1,
are now back, and documented in the header file.

13. Added a new WEGetDragSourceView() API that allows you to
check whether an intra-application drag comes from a WASTE
view.

14. Added a new WEGetViewOwner() API.

There's probably more, but this is what I can recall right now. :)

-- marco

--
It's not the data universe only, it's human conversation.
They want to turn it into a one-way flow that they have entirely