[WASTE-list] Endian issues (was: Re: Problem building waste w/ XCode)

Marco Piovanelli marco.piovanelli at pobox.com
Fri Mar 31 10:56:05 EST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:09:35 -0500,
Kurt Spaker (kspaker at asar.com) wrote:

>Can you tell us if there are any endian issues with the

>WASTE 2.x source, or should the code run fine as a universal

>binary?

While I haven't tried recompiling WASTE 2.x as a UB,
I expect there to be a number of endian issues you
should be careful about.

For one thing, WASTE 2.x uses a number of proprietary,
binary scrap formats (WEcf, WEpf, WEst, WEru, FISH, SOUP)
that need to be flipped when crossing an endian boundary.
If you make use of any of these formats, either directly
or indirectly (by simply allowing rich text exchange with
other WASTE-using applications via drag and drop or the
clipboard), you may need to write your own endian flippers.

-- marco

--
It's not the data universe only, it's human conversation.
They want to turn it into a one-way flow that they have entirely