[WASTE-list] WASTE questions

Ryan Joseph ryan at web-scripter.com
Mon Jan 7 20:33:01 EST 2008

I hope you don't mind I had a random assortment of questions eating
at me for a while so I decided to wrap it into one email.

1) Why is the default tab width 2359296 instead of a simple number?
for example if I want to let users select a tab width how should that
number be mapped to something understandable to a user.

2) Is there a way to prevent WASTE from calling the flux callback
once per every word if there is a drag or paste operation? I have
code which styles text as it's inserted and having multiple calls to
the callback over works the parser (a paste command could cause it to
run 100 times for a long piece of text). I expected the behavior to
invoke the callback once with the delta representing the length of
the pasted/dragged content.

3) I'm not sure this what I'm experiencing but I think when loading
windows files WASTE is producing double lines due the fact windows
uses CRLF endings. Does WASTE support any means to solve this?

4) I'm not able to reproduce this by pasting but during an operation
reading text line by line from a UNIX command into WASTE using WEPut
there are serious crippling speed issues, totally unusable to a user.
By the end of a 1000 line file it's taking half a second to insert a
single line. Inserting longer buffers of text will not cause this so
I'm not sure what's going on.

thanks for any ideas you have on these.

Regards,
Josef