[WASTE-list] pasted tab widths

Ryan Joseph ryan at web-scripter.com
Fri Mar 7 11:13:28 EST 2008

So all the options with wePastePlainText are only available with the
newest build? I had to stop using the latest build because there were
too many bugs in the system to pair windows line endings as a single
character. Unless the bugs were fixed or there is an option to turn
off that feature I can't access the new features. what do you suggest?

I had to override WASTE's pasting because the RTF parser was invoking
my flux callback multiple times per paste. Was that ever fixed?
thanks Marco.

On Mar 7, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Marco Piovanelli wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:15:49 -0700,

> Ryan Joseph (ryan at web-scripter.com) wrote:

>> Can I prevent text pasted into WASTE from changing the tab widths? Or

>> maybe a better broader question would be, what is the best way to

>> implement a feature like "Paste and Match Style" in MLTE? I had to

>> trap the HICommandPaste and wrap WEProcessHICommand with calls to

>> WEGetOneAttribute/WESetOneAttribute and then it was very slow if I

>> didn't disable redrawing for the setting of the old attributes.

>> thanks.

> The short answer is yes, but you need a recent (post-3.1b2) build,

> one that I haven't had time to make public yet. I think I have

> already sent you this private build.

> Anyway, the best way to implement a feature like "Paste and Match

> Style"

> with WASTE 3.0 is to have a UI element (probably a menu item) that

> sends the kHICommandPasteAndMatchStyle (== 'P&MS') command, and let

> WASTE handle the command.

> If, for some reason, you cannot let WASTE install its own command

> event handlers, you can manually paste unstyled text from a pasteboard

> or scrap by specifying the wePastePlainText option in your call to one

> of the following:

> WEPasteFromPasteboard

> WEPasteFromScrap

> WECanPasteFromPasteboard

> WECanPasteFromScrap

> At the lowest level, WEPut() now has an option to ignore style

> information, wePutPlainText. This is handy when you need to insert,

> say, RTF data, but want to strip off all the formatting.

> -- marco

> --

> It's not the data universe only, it's human conversation.

> They want to turn it into a one-way flow that they have entirely

> monetized. I look at the collective human mind as a kind of

> ecosystem. They want to clear cut it. They want to go into the

> rainforest of human thought and mow the thing down.

Regards,
Josef