[WASTE-list] Soft return?

Dan Korn dkorn at printable.com
Mon Sep 29 11:59:42 EDT 2008

On Sep 27, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Bo Lindbergh wrote:

> 27 sep 2008 kl. 00.28 skrev Dan Korn:

>> Is there any way to get a "soft return" (a simple line break

>> without any first-line indentation, space between paragraphs, etc.)

>> in WASTE, similar to what you get if you type Shift+Enter into a

>> Rich Edit control on Windows or into MS Word?

> U+2028, line separator.

Thanks Bo. That's exactly what I was looking for!

> I could argue that U+000A should have

> the same effect, but since we have a source license I won't.

I do have the WASTE source code and there doesn't seem to be any
mention of U+2028, 0x2028, or decimal 8232, but that character does
seem to work as a simple line break without invoking any first-line
indents or space between paragraphs. (FWIW the Rich Edit control on
Windows uses ASCII 11 (0xB), "vertical tab", to accomplish this.) I
don't think I agree that ASCII 10 (0xA) should be treated as a "soft
return" as it's a standard "regular" end-of-line character on Unix,
and those are generally interpreted as paragraph break markers. I
mean, when the user hits Return, they're generally expecting to start
a new paragraph, no? The "soft return" would seem to be the more
special case. Unicode does attempt to topple or at least work around
this line-ending Tower of Babel with more explicitly-purposed
characters, but the ASCII line-ending mess has been built up very
solidly over the years.

A follow up: Do you know if

there's a standard way to input the Unicode Line Separator character
from the keyboard on Mac? I can have my app accept Shift+Return like
on Windows, but I'd like to follow the Mac convention if there is one.

Thanks again,
Dan