[N&W] Re: Va Tech Photo #20

Tue May 25 22:49:15 EDT 2004

Jim, there are two tunnels on the New River line to Galax - one just
southwest of Foster Falls (the photo) and the other on the spur just
southeast of Fries Junction.  Both are still used by the New River State
Park Trail.  The foundations for the posts for the warning "tails" are still
present last time I rode by.  Would highly encourage a trip there this time
of year - the old right-away is cloaked in Red-bud blooms.  Makes for a
great color pic!

Roger Hofford
Salem, VA
Looks like the old Wasp Rock Tunnel on the James River. Thanks to postcard sent
by Mr Pollard of Franklin County, VA.

Jim Blackstock
Appears to be N. Carolina branch along New River near the Shot tower.
Related to the foreground, I would like to hear from an experienced
railroader who was actually saved by one of these.

Charlie Long
Lynchburg
2002 Convention