[N&W] Re: Va Tech Photo #20

Tue May 25 22:49:19 EDT 2004

Looking toward Pulaski from Austinville.  (The lead works are to the
photographers back.)
Ed Painter Jr.
Could it possibly be a littly longer tunnel here is a picture of the New
River tunnell along the trail on the trail web site.
Thomas McCracken
Danville, Va

http://www.cccyclery.com/ccjstbg.htm#Tunnel
The tunnel shown on the North Carolina Branch is Austin-
ville Tunnel -- length 193 feet, natural lining. The tunnel near
Fries Jct. is Chestnut Creek Tunnel -- 195 feet, natural and
timber lining.
Telltales ? They were still around in 1972. They really played
havoc with automobile shipments (before the bi and tri-levels
were covered). N&W was paying claims for dents on vehicles
arriving at Walkertown. Ford disclosed where they were hiding
the vehicle keys and N&W had a trainmaster ride the top car
on the tri-level first out behind the engines. Sure enough, the
automobile got dinged at one of the Roderfield Tunnels. The
ropes had been weighted down with washers and bolts. En route,
the trainmaster just rolled the window down, rested his arm on
the window and left the driving to the engineer. The guy waiting
at the crossing at Davy did a double take.
Harry Bundy