[N&W] Consist of the Cavalier in its heyday

Tue May 25 22:50:34 EDT 2004

<< Does anybody remember the usual consist for the Cavalier during the
1950's?
Please let me know for modeling purposes. >>

I saw the Cavalier (although we only knew at as "16") every day as a kid in
Welch, WV.  It was my favorite train, since it stayed at the station so long
(important to a kid.)

This is only by memory, so others may have absolute facts, but here's what I
recall anyway:  Early 50s:   an RPO, a mail storage car or two, 3-5 full
baggage cars, 2-3 PG coaches, one diner, and one or two sleepers.

As the years wore on, the train grew shorter (and less important.)
The diner was the first to go, replaced with a diner/lounge.  Then the
sleepers.  By the time we moved from Welch in 1958, the train was almost
all "head
end": usually 6 baggage cars, (possibly a mail storage among them), with one
coach at the end.

Jarrell Greever