[N&W] RE: Consist of the Cavalier in its heyday

Tue May 25 22:50:48 EDT 2004

The Cavalier out of Cincinnati usually had K-2/K-2a's on the point, but J's
could be found, too.  Depended on what was available and how much head end
traffic there was.  Doubleheading was not unknown, either to balance power
or to handle the train weight.

I'd have to research the time tables ( and don't have time to do that) but
I am fairly sure that the sleeper was a later addition to the Cavalier
consist after the cut backs in the later 1950's.  Otherwise the Cavalier
was coaches and combine cars with predominantly mail carrying head end
cars.  If it had a dining car, it would have been in the 1930's coming out
of Cincinnati.

Gary Rolih, Cincinnati
You have to be more specific i.e. what day of the week and where in the
route are you looking for.

For example #15 wasn't carrying sleepers west of Williamson in 1954.

The Cavalier was a very head end heavy train and should also include an M-1
class full RPO car.

The number of mail storage and express cars varied a lot with cars destined
for Cincinnati, Chicago, Norton, Roanoke and Bristol.

The diner only operated between Roanoke and Williamson.

Tell me more and I'll tell you more.

Stoney [Rick Stone]