[N&W] Re: Industries by Division

Mon May 31 15:18:47 EDT 2004

Ok, since I guess I started this, I should probably jump in here.

First, if anyone has a Shippers Directory or any other N&W related document
that would provide this information, please raise your hand!  This would
certainly make things easier all around.

Second, my interest in this is how it relates to N&W, not NS. Let the NS
lists/websites provide that information.

Third, if a Shippers Directory or whatever cannot be located, we need to
decide on the basic information that is to be provided.  Certainly the name
of town, name of industry, the the railroad division are probably the
minimum.  Other items that could be included would be milepost, products
received/shipped by rail, types of equipment, date business began/closed (or
at least stop shipping by rail) and any changes in names/businesses to the
same siding over the years.  Anybody  else got any other ideas?

I can say from my limited time spent volunteering in the archives that I
have looked for, but never found, any listing of industries served by the
railroad.  I even contacted the public relations department at NS but they
could not assist.

I certainly am open to suggestions on this.  For those of you that know me,
you know that I think there is a lot more to the N&W than the locomotives.
If it wasn't for the customers, there would be no need for locomotives to
pull the interesting freight equipment to serve the customers!

Hopefully someone will come forward with company information on the
industries.

Jim Brewer