[N&W] Re: Lambert's Point - car capacity question

Mon May 31 15:29:25 EDT 2004

Having little experience with loading coal hoppers I did load several test
coal shipments on the DT&I during the 70's coal boom and was surprised that
a 100 ton car was handling only 83 tons average of mine run E KY coal. We
filled them to the brim and they were N&W cars. Shipments were for Detroit
and we loaded at Pedro, OH using an old clay truck ramp for direct drop into
the cars.

Oakie Ford

Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: Lambert's Point

 > Wayne,
 >
 > Pardon my delay in responding, but I was waiting for some current
 > information on export coal train sizes and capacity of ships loaded at L.
 > Pt.
 >
 > For facts and figures, you can search for "Lamberts Point Coal" on the Web
 > and come up with lots of data.  Three that are particularly informative
are:

 > www.energy.vt.edu/pdfs/VACoal1999.pdf
 >
 > www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/lamberts-point.htm)
 >
 > www.nscorp.com/nscorphtml/coal/transload/lamberts_point.html-3k
 >
 > I would look askance at the claim that it takes 15 train loads of coal to
 > fill the AVERAGE collier.  A NS source checked AEI scans of export coal
 > trains and determined that they are running 170 to 180 100-ton cars per
 > train.  The same source determined that the capacity of ships loaded there
 > recently and the number of cars required is as follows:
 >      17,000 tons        120 cars
 >      27,000                270
 >      77,000                750
 >      83,500                910
 > Although the number of cars for the first listing is obviously too low to
 > fill the ship, the others figure to be about 100 tons/car, which is what
 > would be expected.  The Virginia Tech Web site given above states,
"...over
 > 150,000 tons of coal have been loaded in a single collier" as though this
 > was something of a record.   Even if this were the average, and we can see
 > it is far from it, one of these largest ships would only require about
1,500
 > cars, or some 8.5 train loads.
 >
 > Gordon Hamilton

Have