Eckman Yard

Wed Aug 18 15:48:13 EDT 2004

Ray,

I'll put you on the list for the Eckman view.  I enjoyed your Web site, and I noticed the link to Library of Congess maps.  If you have not visited the TerraServer aerial photo maps site at http://www.terraserver-usa.com/
you will find it interesting.  You just enter a town and state, and it displays the aerial photo map there.  At highest resolution, you often can make out the individual tracks on the Pokey Division (or anywhere else), you often can see where the tracks disappear into tunnels, and even see the individual cars in a train sometimes.  The clarity depends on lighting and angles, etc., but it is interesting to follow the tracks noticing their twists and turns as dictated by topography.

Gordon Hamilton
  Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 2:06 AM
  Subject: Re: Eckman Yard

    Marty Reiter,

    Do you have the aerial view of Eckman Yard that appeared in the May 1948 issue of the N&W Magazine?  It is only about 3" x 3-1/2" but it shows some detail.

    If you would like to have a copy, I'll scan it the next time I'm at the archives and e-mail it to you, but I'll need your e-mail address.

    Gordon Hamilton
    gordonshamilton at cox.net

  Gordon,
  I am building the Pocahontas division in my basement. (please see web site below) I could use this photo also and any other info you might have or know where to get on this division.
  Thanks a million in advance!
  Ray Russell
  NMRA-40609
  "Norfolk & Western Railroad"   "Pocahontas Division"  "Circa 1958"
  Visit The "NEW" Pocahontas Website at: http://www.nandw-pocahontas-division.net/