The Hilltopper

Tue Sep 28 07:21:02 EDT 2004

Ron:
I believe Mr. Wilkins is correct.  After all, he was there.   Eventually
Amtrak
did build the connection at Petersburg enabling ""The Hilltopper" to
proceed directly to  the former ACL main line.  Louis Popp had  been the
N&W liason with Amtrak.  He mentioned that there was reluctance  on
Amtrak's part to fork over the construction fees.  For a while,  though, "The
Hilltopper" was hauled backwards to and from Secoast.  I saw it  at Ettrick
southbound with an RF&P Geep in the lead.
                                                                     Harry
Bundy