2050

Sat Nov 27 17:43:18 EST 2004

Gary,

The best rumor out there on 2050 was it came form a steel mill that was
using it for some purpose.

Inquiries were made from IRM to get the locomotive and were turned down,
supposedly a steel mill V.P. visited the museum and the subject was brought
up. THe V.P> supposdly arranged to get the 2050 to the rail( rumor once
again had it on a disconnected peice of track) and shipped to IRm at the
mills expense.

Having seeing her about once a year it did come in N&W paint and was not in
too bad of shape.
She has been under roof for many years and some of the rods have been
romoved and stored with protection given to the exposed bearing surfaces.
Once in a great while they will roll her around to get to other rolling
stock around her.

It is a shock to see 2050 next to a Milw 4-8-4 and they are about the same
length!!

Talk has bantered around to restore 2050 for operations but is too heavy for
the rail as many of the other locos in IRM. Visitors have told me since my
last visit that some cosmetic painting has been done.

Remember Gary that the story about 2050 getting to IRM is rumor but she is
here in Illinois under roof.

Mike Ritschdorff