Terraserver-usa/Colegrove

Mon Feb 7 16:18:21 EST 2005

I am embarrassed to say I don't remember such a big incident. But, I'll see my 94 yr. old father this evening and go over it with him. Ford Brothers had a great fear of such an incident because of the types of chemicals that we took out over that track. Many coal trucks were hit there during and after the coal boom of 1974-75 and later. Most were empty because they ran parallel eastbound within inches of the eastbound main and would lose the sight of a train in their mirrors and would actually turn directly into the side of a moving train. Once we did stick a empty tank trailer on the crossing because the driver had not cranked the drop legs back up into the storage position and that scared the be-Jesus out of everyone on duty at the time. But, we kept the phone number for Kenova Yard Office posted above the dispatch desk and called and simply stated that a loaded gasoline tank trailer had both mains blocked. Everything went red immediately until a supervisor came over an cleared the control for the RXR dispatch office. We yanked the truck off the crossing long before the supervisor arrived.

Being raised on the N&W main gave me many nice moments watching a real working life-giving artery of commerce at work ceaselessly, 24/7/365. On snowy winter nights I really was moved by movements of what I always perceived as "Russian Grain Trains" as the fall harvest was being shipped to Russia about Nixon's time after the Russians finally admitted that they could not feed themselves and the US agreed to supply quietly as much grain as needed. These trains were so quite on a snowy winters night and it was impressive as these were new cars and the latest power because it required all the guts they could gather to make the Midwest to Norfolk literally overnight movements to meet waiting ships. Only many nights you would see several unit movements pass almost as "sections from the Christmas rush with passenger trains".

Having spent my life between the N&W and C&O I remain with an extremely keen interest in big rail freight movements. Every day when at our business in Catlettsburg, KY adjacent to the CSX's Big Sandy Div I watch for both movements of the daily misc. north and south scheduled manifest that connects thru Elkhorn City, KY onto the old Clinchfield going to Kingsport/ Irwin, TN and point south. I looked for Canadian lumber, Tennessee Eastman Chemical, Ohio Valley chemicals routed south via this named train and two special movements, 1. the hazardous waste from Irwin, TN going I presume to the Detroit salt caverns and the new giant white mechanical reefers (this tells my generation, like there are still iced reefers, right?). Both these two movements are set on the rear which sends a message that they must get special handling to make these trains both directions.

I'll stop anywhere just to see what is moving between what points both long haul and local. RXR are history and the daily activity is tomorrow's history, done correctly or in real RXR fashion, right ?.

Oakie G Ford
IRONTON, OH

Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: Terraserver-usa/Colegrove

  I enjoy the discussion covering the operations in Roanoke but living 250 miles away it leaves a lot to one's imagination so if there are local aerial photos that could be added to these conversations it would bring real meaning to us "outlanders". Moving large trains just to "get out of town" is always a good read. If nothing else someone draw a map(s).

  Oakie G Ford
  IRONTON, OH
You can follow the railroad all over the system with
Ariel Photos at

http://www.terraserver-usa.com/

Oakie G Ford
One Night I was on a west bound Time Freight that hit a Ford Bbrs. truck on the ColeGrove crossing. Were You there that night by chance? just thought our paths might have crossed
R F Smith