Ashby, Virginia, on the NS

Tue Jun 21 01:52:23 EDT 2005

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:54:25 -0500
From: "g mull" <gp123 at lycos.com>
Subject: Re: NS Marsh Run vs White Post

>From Front Royal go north on 340 then turn right on

Ashby Station Rd. It is about 2 miles to the tracks,
this puts you at the south end of Ashby. If cross
the tracks go down the road abit and turn left, go
about a mile and turn left again this will put you at
the North end of Marsh run. this is I would guess
about 5 miles south of White Post. A couple of pics
from Ashby are below

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=109815
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=83882

June 21, 2005

Thanks, Peter and Nathan for your responses. Mr.
Mull, the two photo links are appreciated. I might
point out that the tall wooden pole adjacenet to the
cab in the second photo has the ATCS antenna mounted
on its top, out of view. This is higher than most
installations I've seen, but I suppose it's necessary
because of the hilly countryside.

So, it seems the Hagerstown District layout file needs
to be updated to show White Post as an intermediate
signal, Marsh Run as the north end of the siding, and
add the control point at Riverton. This will be a
good Summer project for someone when time permits.

I suppose intermediate signals are not usually named
in ATCS layout files. However, if White Post is
inserted for location recognition, adding Boyce as
another would be appreciated, so that users can see
the monitoring point in relation to the other named
control points.

Good night and good morning,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator