convention, Thomas and todays railroads

Fri Jul 8 21:23:39 EDT 2005

As a former host of two sucessful NWHS conventions, I gotta say, let's
leave the planning to the host, all this squabbling just makes the planners
nervous and makes it hard to bring a whole weekend of entertainment
together for our enjoyment.

We members who have families with young children( and there are several)
simply stated that we would like to Have Thomas avalable to be viewed so we
could actually convince our wives to come along with the kids and support
our hobbies, we wasn't asking for a Day Out With Tomas. For years our
families would not join us because there is nothing to occupy them, this
outing gives us aperfect chance to blend our families with our hobbies.

I was offended by Mr. Sellers comments. First of all there is nothing about
todays modern railroad to keep a childs interest. All the locomotives
look,sound and are designed the same, the locomotive has lost it's
personality, what do the kids have to "look up to"? A big black locomotive,
with tinted windows and air-conditioned cabs, completely isolating the crew
from view, there is no-one to wave back at the kids now and if they did who
can see it? the cabooses are all stuffed and mounted in the local parks,
you are greeted by a flashing light on the rear, wow exciting. Government
and police agencies are doing their darndest to make sure that we can no
longer get up-close and personal with the railroads and trains, Communitiy
learder consintaly remind us that trains are too loud and the block
crossings for too long and that the railroad is a nuscience.
I work for NS and kids would rather throw rocks at you than wave.

I am sure that when you were a child that you was fascinated by stories of
Casey Jones, John Henry, and the Wreck Of The Old 97, when I was a child I
had the stories of Tootle and the Little Engine That Could to fire my
interest. and todays kids have Thomas and I am damn proud to see my kids
face light up when they see his smiling face, and to them, that occupies
them a lot better that a set of wiskers on a catfish.

Gary Price
proud parent of two
Norfolk Southern enployee
former NWHS board member