Potomac Yard clearance limitation, or was it the Baltimore tunnels?

Sat Jul 9 14:29:22 EDT 2005

OGF:
I haven't been "in the loop" since '95, so I can't don't know what the
improvements
at Charlottesville have brought to NS. As Mr. Foley noted, the track has
been
undercut to provide a clearance of 19'1" ATR (at top of rail). My
impression is that the
problem now is farther south on the Washington - Atlanta main line, namely at
Salisbury. There are overhead bridges there that won't clear a double-stack.
Several years ago, a double-stack destined Charlotte from Atlanta had been
placed in the wrong classification at Inman Yard. No one caught the
oversight
and the car proceeded north from Charlotte with smashing results.

I don't believe the arch at MP 112.2 was much of a deterrent to Southern's
TOFC
traffic. For years, THE schedule on the Eastern Lines was No. 153. It
originated
at Pot Yard and carried traffic for Atlanta and beyond ONLY. In later
years, the
symbol was used for Southern's TOFC flyer from Van Dorn Avenue, Alexandria
to Atlanta. I don't know of any incident where No. 153 was delayed by
clearances.

Speaking of No. 153, Robert N. Woodall had been Vice President-Traffic for
Southern.
He left Southern and came to work for N&W. He could probably write chapters
on No. 153. After a disagreement with D.W. Brosnan, he was sentenced to
serve 30 days on No. 153. He'd leave Pot Yard about 7:30 AM and arrive
Atlanta
sixteen hours later. At Inman Yard, the railroad police would meet Mr.
Woodall
and drive him to Hartsfield Intl. Airport to catch the "night owl" back to
D.C. By
7:30 AM the next day, he was in place to catch No. 153 again.
Harry Bundy