Military Locos?

Fri Aug 19 20:18:32 EDT 2005

Regarding Radford Army Ammunition Plant, I visited the site in late 1997
and was able to take a look at its Baldwin, an RS4TC numbered USA 4036. It
was in sparkling condition, having recently been rebuilt, but these
locomotive were being excessed throughout the Army and the Air Force, and
reportedly this one was being acquired by the city of Collegedale, TN.

The GE centercab was not a 44-ton, but an 80-ton. (All of the locomotives
in the 16xx-series are 80-tons.) The Army excessed the last of its 44-ton
locomotives years ago.

Prior to acquiring geeps, Radford formerly used three Alco MRS1
locomotives, and at least two of these went to the Eastern Shore Railroad.

The roster below reflects the information I have on the site. The dates
for the geeps, the current motive power, reflect the year they were
rebuilt/remanufactured.

Tim Moriarty
===================
Utilities & Services Dept.
Radford AAP
Radford, VA 24141
(540) 639-7215

Radford Army Ammunition Plant operates 29 miles of track linked to the
Norfolk Southern. The internal rail system is mainly used to move coal
from on-base storage to the power plant. Rail is mixed, but primarily
consists of 100-pound rail. Operations are conducted Monday through
Friday, 0730 to 1630, and the enginehouse is Building 501.

Locomotives:

Roadnumber Builder Model Date

USA 1645 GE 80-ton 1952
USA 4622 EMD GP10 1992
USA 4629 EMD GP16 1992
USA T-21 Car Spotter 1953

Rolling Stock:

13 100-ton hopper cars, eight 50-ton hopper cars, one 70-ton hopper car,
and one 50-ton box car.

Formerly on site:

USA B-2069 Alco MRS1 1953
USA B-2085 Alco MRS1 1953