NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 18, Issue 17

Sat Aug 20 22:59:57 EDT 2005

It was the end of his career, if I remember correctly. My father was
in the JAG office @ the NOB Norfolk (next to Sewell's Pt Yd!), '49 -
'51. IIRC, he was new to the command and MAY have been a Washington
big shot on his way to being the top admiral in the Navy. If he
didn't retire, he was probably made Commandant of either a mothball
fleet or a records center somewhere. That's the way the Navy was
then and maybe still is. Regardless of who was at fault, if you hit
the papers, you were toast.

pete groom

Thanks to Jerry Kay for clarifying that the facility in Portsmouth is
properly called the Norfolk Naval SHIPYARD. I was fortunate to be
able to be in Portsmouth sometime between 1948 and 1952 and being
able to tour the Battleship Missouri while it was in the Shipyard.
Not long after that tour, “The Mighty Mo” ran aground in the Norfolk
Harbor. Of the many things they did to try to free her, the most
exciting was the firing of the 16 inch guns to try to rock her to
loosen the grip of the harbor sands. I don’t recall how long she was
aground, but it sure was an embarrassing time for The Missouri and
her Captain.

Ed Gorman