NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 18, Issue 17

Sat Aug 20 11:12:07 EDT 2005

Thanks to Jerry Kay for clarifying that the facility in Portsmouth is
properly called the Norfolk Naval SHIPYARD. I was fortunate to be able
to be in Portsmouth sometime between 1948 and 1952 and being able to
tour the Battleship Missouri while it was in the Shipyard. Not long
after that tour, "The Mighty Mo" ran aground in the Norfolk Harbor. Of
the many things they did to try to free her, the most exciting was the
firing of the 16 inch guns to try to rock her to loosen the grip of the
harbor sands. I don't recall how long she was aground, but it sure was
an embarrassing time for The Missouri and her Captain.

Ed Gorman