The NW Class J 611

Sat Aug 20 22:37:15 EDT 2005

Hi Neil;

The J's got A tank connections when they were made available for freight service with the arrival of the leased E units in the late '50s. The J also had an A tank during her excursion career. The two A-tanks are very different. The early Bachmann model (not Spectrum) matches the excursion A tank quite well. The new Spectrum A-tank (and Pocahontas Models, NWSL, etc) are models of the A tanks used in the 1950's behind not only J's but also other N&W steam locomotives.

Nigel F Misso

Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:20 AM
Subject: Re: The NW Class J 611

As 611 historian perhaps you can answer a question for me. Although I have been avidly interested in model railroading most of my 73 years, I have only become interestred in the N & W recently.

When did the 611s begin using auxilliary water tenders ? Models of the water tender are available and I wonder what time period they represent. Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Have a happy day.

Neil K. Yerger
7 Farm Road
Wayne, PA 19087-3303