The NW Class J 611

Sun Aug 21 12:56:21 EDT 2005

Neil,

Soon after the Southern diesels took over the joint SR-N&W passenger trains between Bristol and Lynchburg on January 1, 1958, the J's began to receive the A-tank connections. These connections were applied to all 14 from mid January to early March. The cupolas were added separately from mid February to early March. These additions were done mostly at Shaffers Crossing with some at the Roanoke Shops and Portsmouth.

Some J's began being used in freight service in early 1958 although many continued being used in passenger service until the leased E units arrived in July 1958 which then bumped them all into freight service.

The A-tanks used in revenue service by the J's were the N&W auxiliary developed from the 16,000-gallon tenders in 1952-54. The A-tanks used in excursion service, I believe, were rebuilt from L&N Berkshire tenders.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: The NW Class J 611

Hi Neil;

The J's got A tank connections when they were made available for freight service with the arrival of the leased E units in the late '50s. The J also had an A tank during her excursion career. The two A-tanks are very different. The early Bachmann model (not Spectrum) matches the excursion A tank quite well. The new Spectrum A-tank (and Pocahontas Models, NWSL, etc) are models of the A tanks used in the 1950's behind not only J's but also other N&W steam locomotives.

Nigel F Misso

Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 4:20 AM

As 611 historian perhaps you can answer a question for me. Although I have been avidly interested in model railroading most of my 73 years, I have only become interestred in the N & W recently.

When did the 611s begin using auxilliary water tenders ? Models of the water tender are available and I wonder what time period they represent. Thank you for your kind attention to this matter.

Have a happy day.

Neil K. Yerger
7 Farm Road
Wayne, PA 19087-3303