Locomotive Wheelbase (TAN)

Tue Jan 10 18:15:36 EST 2006

IIRC, the Frisco Russian Decapod @ the St Louis Trans. Museum had
blind drivers on the #1 and #4(?) driving axles.

The only train wreck that I've been in occurred when the Sierra RR
2-8-0 pulling our train tender-first derailed and almost rolled over
down an embankment when the rear drivers picked a point on a curved
switch and the blind #3 and #2 drivers followed off the track. The
engine jack-knifed into the tender which prevented it from going
over. I was standing in the vestibule of the first car!

While discussing steam loco wheelbases:

How did the railroads that ran articulateds deal with track level (or
surface?) issues?

1. Were some tracks or routes off limits to some engines because
they had excessive vertical curves?

2. Were articulateds usually built with more vertical journal box
travel than engines with shorter wheelbases to accommodate vertical
curves?

Pete Groom

. . .
On some class I1 2-10-0s that PRR owned (some built by Baldwin, the
rest by Altoona), which were probably twice as large as the
Gainesville Midland engines you're thinking about, only the #1 and #5
drivers had flanges. The #2, #3 and #4 were all blind. And the PRR
engines weren't really expected to negotiate tight curvature. Why
did they do it that way? I have no idea, but they did.

EdKing
. . .