Whither the Link and Pin ?

Mon Jan 23 23:46:46 EST 2006

Abram,

I read an article recently in "American Heritage of Invention & Technology (magazine), Winter 2006, Vol.21, No.3.

The article entitled "The Strongest Handshake in the World" was written by John H. White, Senior Historian Emeritus at the Smithsonian Institution, and professor of history and mechanical engineering at Miami University, in Oxford, OH.

A very interesting article about Mr. Janney, inventor, and Mr. Lorenzo Coffin, who took up the "cause", and finally got the coupler mandated by law.

He states that President Harrison signed the Safety and Appliance Act on March 3, 1893, his last full day in office. This act also made air brakes mandatory. "Railroads were given five years to complete the transition." By that date, 1898, only 68% of cars had the new couplers. They were granted an extension to Jan. 1900, then another eight months after that! He says that "by 1900 coupler related injuries dropped from 32% to 9% of all injuries", and then to 4% in 1902.

Like many inventors, Janney did NOT get rich from his life-saving invention.

Jeff Sanders