Flat or Gloss on Gauge Hands?

Sat Feb 11 12:25:36 EST 2006

Abram and Shawn: The gauge faces and needles should be flat as you do
not want reflection from the gauge face to the back of the glass.
Reflected image off of the back of the glass can cause a 'ghost' image
and misreading of the gauge. This is according to some old gauge
catalogs that I used to have.

In industrial practice, I have seen older gauges with both matte or
semi-gloss finishes especially with brushed bronze, brass or stainless
steel faces. White faces are always flat white. Lettering seems to go
either way with gloss or matte. Seems like the guideline got violated as
many times as it got followed.

G Rolih

Cincinnati