Hagerstown

Tue Oct 10 17:09:30 EDT 2006

Jim:
Looks like you have things in correct order. We did find on the maps
that Hagerstown Junction was approximately at Hager Tower. Will
check that our further. A mile or so north of Hager Tower was Town
Tower where PRR (old CV) crossed the Western Maryland main line on diamonds.

As for the yard, called Vardo or Shomo, these names had nothing to do
with the end of steam. To N&W folks it was Vardo, and to PRR it was
Shomo. The article about Hagerstown in a 1954 issue of the N&W
employee magazine says as much. If you ask anyone in Hagerstown
today what the name of that railroad yard is, the answer you will
hear is "Shomo."

Rick Morrison