Intermodal on the old N&W

Thu Mar 8 23:30:59 EST 2007

The photo of Y6 2120 is on the Shenandoah Division near Hollins with Time Freight 51. That photo is N&W photo number 512532-C dated 23 March 1956. The second photo is a sequence shot of the same train with "piggy back'" trailers shown.

The intermodal service you asked was begun on 14 Novermber 1955. This new service is covered in three articles of the N&W Magazine in late 1955 and early 1956. These articles state the early beginnings of this service between Hagerstown and Bristol which interchanged at these locations with connecting roads. The initial trains using the intermnodal were time freights 51 southbound and 88 northbound. If you want to read these articles, I can reference the issues that they are in.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:51 AM
Subject: RE: Intermodal on the old N&W

Do you have any idea what date these pictures were taken? I'm sure it was in the '50s, but when? When did N&W initiate TOFC service?

Bill Smith