Ballast Color

Sun Jul 15 20:39:47 EDT 2007

Bob:

In the 1960's and 1970's, the ballast cars were older coal cars or ex- coal
cars now in MoW service.

Gary Rolih

_____

Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 9:40 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: RE: Ballast Color

Gary, in that time period, what type of cars did the N&W use to move the
ballast from the quarry? Would they use coal hoppers?

Bob Simpson

St. Paris, Ohio

Yep, Light gray. Most of the ballast used on the N&W in the 1960's and
1970's came from Plum Run quarry on the Cincinnati District. This is a
limestone rock that is light gray with a hint of tan in it. The quarry is
near the town of Peebles.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____