Vacation questions - tour of Bluefield lubritorium

Thu Aug 16 00:21:57 EDT 2007

I am sure that a tour for one person is a lot easier to
arrange than a tour for 50 people, but it sure is a slap in
the face to those 50 or so people who paid for a tour during
the N&WHS convention and were turned away at the last
minute! The lame excuse we were given was that the facility
was too busy to handle us. That was a giant load of bovine
excrement. There was only one engine in the entire fueling
facility, and it wasn't anywhere near the fuel racks or the
lubritorium. Simply put, they were not too busy for us, but
we were certainly made to feel unwelcome.

The tour that we did get was definitely not worth the price
of the bus fare. The view from the tower was OK if you
could find a window that wasn't fogged up, but the
dispatching center tour was just plain lame. We weren't
allowed in to see the dispatcher's boards and the chief
dispatcher was either unable or unwilling to explain the
schematic on his board.

Mark, please give Larry an extra special tour. Perhaps then
Larry can post some pictures for the rest of us who were
left out in June.

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Va.