Shenandoah Junction

Mon Oct 8 17:37:32 EDT 2007

Mason,

Glad to hear that Bob was in contact with you. However, I still have some questions about this location. You stated that the SV graded the line for a grade level crossing but, never installed same.

In your article of the May-June 1988 "Arrow" there are captions for photos showing "the former crossing at grade" with the B&O. The caption also states "In the distance you can see the former main line.......".

I can not access these photos from the N&W website, so I can not see what is being explained. If one goes to Google Earth or one of the other "Earth" sites, one can decern what I took to be the original SV graded line across from Shenandoah Junction. Would this be a correct interiptation?

The Bicentennial History of Jefferson County 1801-2001 states on page 52, "A building stood next to the track where a watchman made sure no trains tried to pass through the Junction at the same time, thus preventing collisions".

This quote is from the Shenandoah Junction section of the aforementioned publication. As you can see, these statements cause confusion (at least to this reader).

Comments?

Joe Coakley