Y-5 Phone/Speaker?

Tue Nov 20 21:34:27 EST 2007

Listers,
While perusing Paul Carleton's book Memories of Norfolk and Western Power for the umteenth time I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. On page 58 there are a couple of photos of Y-5's- 2118 and 2111 to be exact. What caught my attention was a device on the front of each locomotive to the right of the coupler (engineer's side)(left of coupler looking from the front) mounted above the front beam over the foot boards. (If I had a scanner that had the resolution I'd scan the picture but alas I don't). It looks to be an external speaker. Both locomotives have it. I've not noticed it on pictures of other Ys. Can any one verify what the device is and what it was used for? I'm curious about it.
Thanks for your input.
Dave Moorehead
Milford, OH