Clinch Valley District

Mon Mar 3 22:14:47 EST 2008

Hi, I'm new to the list and wondering if someone could help me with info concerning Norton, Va and the interchange with the L&N and Interstate there. I'm thinking of building a layout encompassing Norton with the L&N, IRR and N&W yard and interchange along with a short line the Norton and Northern which ran from Norton to Wise as an additional operation. The N&W and N&N portions being the primary operation. I'm thinking of 2 possible eras the 1920's-30' or set it in the 50's even though the Norton and Northern was defunct by then.

Specifically:
1. Does anyone no what kind of commodities were interchanged with the L&N and IRR at Norton other than coal?
2. I have found info concerning a turntable but not a roundhouse, was there one?
3. Does anyone have a N&W ETT from the 20's for the Pocahontas Division they would be willing to share a copy of?
4. A copy I have of a N&W 1930 ETT shows only eastbound freight traffic, why and what did they do about balancing motive power if everything was going in one direction.
5. Can anyone shed any light on general N&W freight and passenger operations during those time periods.

My direct email is seewright2 at verizon.net if any one has anything they can send. Thanks to anyone willing to help!

Charlie