Rail washers on steam locomotives?

Tue Mar 4 09:34:15 EST 2008

Thanks for the feedback.

Let me understand what I'm reading here: a little bit of sand helps the
drivers of the locomotive get traction, but that same sand increases rolling
resistance on the wheels of the cars following the locomotive? Which N&W
locos had rail-washers--was it just the Y's, or did the J's and A's have
them as well? (thanks for the answers--maybe next week I'll ask everybody
about "smoke consumers" and how they worked)

Thanks,

Mike Weeks