Rail washers on steam locomotives?

Mon Mar 3 19:38:45 EST 2008

I thought I recalled that someone asked about the function of pipes on the lead trucks of DMIR locos a few days ago. If not, well, another memory problem strikes back.

DM&IR used sanders mounted on the lead trucks of their 2-8-8-4s, 2-8-8-0s and 2-8-8-2s, if photos are representative. There was an auxilliary sandbox on the pilot beam for supply. There were no sanders to the first set of drivers on the front engine, so this must have been a substitute. They don't appear to be rail washers.

Dave Stephenson