FM Trainmasters

Thu Mar 13 22:14:12 EDT 2008

wrote:

> Jimmy,

> When I was on the B of D of the transportation museum, I heard from

> several sources at the railroad that a Trainmaster had been set aside for

> the museum and "stashed" out of the way, but that it got caught up in

> railroad power politics and that when upper management got wind of this

> unauthorized action they had it scrapped. Perhaps some one of our

> correspondents who was in railroad management at the time can shed light on

> this.

I seem to remember it was the 173 and it was shuffled around the dead line
that was along Shenandoah Ave. behind the mill/TAP building and that area.
Word was that John Fishwick got wind of the shuffle and passed the word that
the engine was to be "taken care of." The result was a shopping that
produced a very distinctive slug, recognized by the high and very vertical
steps.

Here is a photo I took in 1980 of 173 in that dead line (should it make it
through). The picture can also be found at
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bharper/nwrwy/engines.html)

Bruce in Blacksburg