H. Reid Photo Collection

Mon Apr 7 19:11:37 EDT 2008

Good evening,
I certainly don't claim to be an expert on H. Reid. These are just some ramblings. Shortly after H. Reid passed away I was at two train shows. One was the Great Scale Model Train Show at Timonium, Md. and I believe the other one was either a railroadiana show in Timonium {Baltimore Transportation Show} or Gaithersburg. I remember young men selling off the remains of his personal collection. They told me that they were from the area where H. Reid lived. Maybe the NRHS group? I think that there were large framed "builders photos", one of which was a Virginian gondola. It seems that there were even artist prints of streamlined steam locos that never were built. I don't think they were Virginian prototypes. One may have been a Wabash loco. He appeared to be interested in railroads other than just the Virginian. They may have ended up at Roanoke Rails owned by Sam Putney at the time. Sam could correct me on that. H. Reid's personal railroadiana items were being sold. I remember buying a steel lock that belonged to him {Not VGN}. I had a Norfolk Southern? Prince book in my hand at the railroadiana show that I recall was signed by Richard Prince to H. Reid. The price was around $145.00. It was the end of the show and I didn't want to spend that much money. I didn't get the book and I wish that I did. I really don't recall many individual photos. I wonder if the Norfolk, Va.?? newspaper that he worked for would be a source.
Norris Deyerle
Lynchburg, Va.