Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Mon Jul 7 11:34:27 EDT 2008

Jimmy is right, tonnage and profile did not require the use of the A and J for this division. Axle loading and track weight did not restrict them from the Shenandoah Division, the operating conditions there did not require them. Passenger trains 1 and 2 usually had six to eight cars and the K2's were adequate for this run. The division has many heavy grades and the Y6's were best for time freight service there, like on the Radford Division. The A's were used on the more level portions of the N&W and the J's were used on extended runs of four districts over multliple heavy grades in route pulling 14-16 cars. If the N&W needed the A and/or J for the Shenandoah Division, it would have used them with the required cab signals applied.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

"I believe Class J's doubleheaded the Eisenhower campaign train from Winston to Roanoke in 1952."

An isolated case.

"The 600 and the 604 double-headed Dwight D. Eisenhower's 18-car campaign train from Winston-Salem to Roanoke on 9/26/52."

And here we have an 18 car train on many a steep grade. If I remember correctly there was also another J following the movement just in case any problems occured with the first two.
So that brings us back to the question of why they weren't used on the Shenandoah Div. on a regular basis? Again, my first guess is that tonnage didn't require them.
Jimmy Lisle