Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Mon Jul 7 12:49:21 EDT 2008

I have photographic proof of an A travelling all the way to Hagerstown on the Shenandoah Division. The photo was made in Chambersburg, PA, 20 miles north of Hagerstown when N&W sent a Class A to the New York World's Fair in 1939-40. The A was dead in tow, with the main rods removed, being pulled by a K-4 Pacific. The engine was polished to perfection. Presumably it was towed dead all the way from Roanoke.

As for speed, I remember the Y class engines which passed my childhood home near Shepherdstown. All I can say is they gave real meaning to the term "fast freight."
I was puzzled in later years when I read about the Y class having had a top speed of 45 mph.

--Rick Morrison