Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Fri Jul 11 20:58:11 EDT 2008

Rick,

I also knew that the conventional "wisdom" you hear all the time about the Y's not being able to go faster than about 45 mph was bogus. I can remember several times that my father paced Y's at 55-60 mph west of Appomattox and east of Crewe. But I figured it was no use arguing with the "experts."

Sam Putney

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

I have photographic proof of an A travelling all the way to Hagerstown on the Shenandoah Division. The photo was made in Chambersburg, PA, 20 miles north of Hagerstown when N&W sent a Class A to the New York World's Fair in 1939-40. The A was dead in tow, with the main rods removed, being pulled by a K-4 Pacific. The engine was polished to perfection. Presumably it was towed dead all the way from Roanoke.

As for speed, I remember the Y class engines which passed my childhood home near Shepherdstown. All I can say is they gave real meaning to the term "fast freight."
I was puzzled in later years when I read about the Y class having had a top speed of 45 mph.

--Rick Morrison