Rougemont Wreck in 1949

Mon Jul 14 21:38:48 EDT 2008

I recall that as a youngster my father took me from Roxboro to Rougemont
(NC; thus the Durham line) to see a train wreck. I would like to dig out
some details of that wreck, including local newspaper coverage (which
requires me to pin down the approximate date of the wreck).

The online contents for The ARROW provide this information:
Vol. 18, No. 4 July / August 2002 issue of The ARROW
*/Tales from the Front / Adventures on the Durham Line/* - Fred Reburn,
Rob Minton.
*Photo* The wreck at Rougemont, NC in 1949 brought quite a mess to a
local farmer's hog lot. (Fred Reburn Collection)
*Photo* As Z-1 No. 1333 lies in the brush, one of the animals walks
calmly by on the right, apparently unperturbed by the disturbance. The
farmer, we assume, had a more vociferous reaction. (Fred Reburn Collection)

Can anyone provide the exact date of the wreck at Rougemont or direct me
to sources of information about the wreck?
Thanks, Ed Clayton