Fwd: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Taking Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Thu Jul 24 08:36:56 EDT 2008

--
Skip Salmon

=============
To: VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts at yahoogroups.com
From: "Charles E. Salmon, Jr." <gkholine at cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:11:25 -0000
Subject: [VirginianRailwayEnthusiasts] "Taking Twenty with the Virginian Brethren"

Last night I had the plesure of "Takin' Twenty" with ten of the
Brethren and Friends of the Virginian Railway. We signed a "Get Well"
card for H. E. "Governor" Tyler, VGN Clerk. "Governor" is recouping
from recent surgery. He was called "Governor" because he reminded he
Brethren of James Hoge Tyler, one of Virginia's favorite governors, who
was serving when the VGN was started.

I passed around several items including the latest "Turntable
Times" newsletter of the Roanoke Chapter NRHS; An article in
the "Roanoke Times" about the possibility of passenger trains returning
to Roanoke and a photo of Bob Rowland "helping" our waitress Andrea
change the channels on our TV. The Brethren commented on all three:
They enjoyed the newsletter, gave little hope that they would ever see
a regular passenger train through Roanoke in their lifetime, and
laughed out loud at Bob's photo (I will post it on this site on "Skip's
Photos later today)

We discussed the latest surge in NS Stock prices and the "15%
profit rise in the past quarter". We also observed that NS stock
selling price is now back above that of CSX.

Several saw our own Wis Sowder, VGN clerk, on the local news shows
this week selling his peaches, cukes and squash at the Salem Farmer's
Market. Wis is a very shy man but accepted the accolades well.
Cornbread kidded Billy Daniel about telling Billy's dad, George B.
Daniel, Jr. a VGN carpeck, that he would check an incoming coal train
on a cold, rainy night for him. Cornbread said that George, Jr. told
him to "check for bad grab irons, cut levers and leaking roofs".
Billy's grandfather was George B. Daniel, VGN Superintendent.

I told the Brethren about a September 20 trip that is sponsored by
the Roanoke Chapter NRHS to Cass Scenic Railway. Several plan to
attend. We also talked about Lynchburg Blue Ridge Chapter NRHS
Raildays on August 9.

Landon Gregory remembered several times where, as operator, he
instructed VGN road crews to exceed the hours of service rules (Hog
Laws). According to the Book of Rules, this is OK when they were
blocking public crossings and/or could put a train safely into a siding
to clear for approaching trains. You learn something every day...

I told the Brethren about the recent photo of O. Winston Link that
is circulating on rail sites, showing his "reunion" with the old horse
Maud, that bowed for a Virginia Creeper steam engine in his famous
photo. Most agreed that this was probably a "grandhorse" of the
original 1957 Maud.

Raymond East, VGN hogger and Glen McLain, VGN clerk, got into a
discussion about the need and reason for several colorful VGN
nicknames. The Smithson brothers, W.N. "Cocky" and W.H. "Lemonhead"
were first. "Cocky" was called this, not because of his convidence of
work experience, but for his relationships with the
ladies. "Lemonhead" was a member of the VGN baseball team and get his
nickname when he proceeded to third base that was occupied by another
VGN player and someone in the stands yelled "you dumb lemonhead, go
back to second". Seems that "Dogface" Hudson and O. A. "Goathead" Smith
got theirs just because they resembled dogs and goats.

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now,

Skip Salmon