N&W in 1907 -- 2 cent fare

Fri Jul 25 10:14:07 EDT 2008

Skip:
Did a little research yesterday and found that
Amtrak's one-way fare Lynchburg to DC is
$39.95 -- provided that you book far enough
in advance and you're a senior citizen, which
you are. Without taking my shoes and socks
off for the calculation, I believe that works
out to about $0.23/ mi. for the 172 mile trip.

Railroads would occasionally have auditors
ride passenger trains to make sure the
conductor wasn't pocketing fares. Problem
was the auditors stood out like a sore thumb
because they were much more refined than
the usual clientele.
Harry Bundy

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.